According to the National Association of Realtors, around 8.9 million people have relocated for various reasons since the outbreak of COVID-19. People often move in pursuit of improved employment opportunities, a better living environment, or enhanced educational prospects for their children. Sometimes, people also move to places with a more affordable cost of living. For instance, St. Charles, IL. The living expenses there are 11.8% higher than the national average, leading to people seeking other options. Having said that, when you consider a place home, especially a beautiful location like St. Charles, you might simply decide to move within the city. Moving into a new home within the city can be a great way to strike a balance between exploring new opportunities and preserving the sense of belonging that comes with considering a place as home.
No matter what prompts you to move, the process of relocating is a massive undertaking. It involves completing numerous tasks before you can finally settle into your new home. However, you can minimize the stress and pressure by streamlining the process with the essential tips listed below.
Transferring belongings without the help of professionals can become a hassle when moving into a new home. Hiring moving help does not always have to be expensive, though. You can find various affordable yet experienced companies in your area.
Considering affordability and moving budget is especially crucial when you live in a place like St. Charles, where housing and healthcare costs are 12.3% and 21.8% higher than the national average, respectively. In such a situation, every penny counts. While budget is an important factor to consider when hiring a moving company, it is equally important to focus on credibility to ensure a smooth transition. We suggest looking up St. Charles local moving company near me to find an option that fits all your needs.
There are many benefits of hiring a moving company while moving into a new home, including the following:
- Trained moving staff can provide customized help according to your requirements.
- A moving company can take care of the entire moving process, leaving you with only the supervisory role.
- It eliminates the stress associated with moving considerably.
- You get the time to look after your kids and other aspects of moving, such as paperwork, changing addresses, and settling into your new home.
- Their well-maintained trucks and equipment can ensure the safe transport of your belongings and minimize damage by carefully handling your stuff.
- Reliable moving companies have insurance options to protect your belongings during transit. This option provides peace of mind that your belongings have financial safety in case of any unanticipated situations.
Opt for Specialized Moving Services
Some professional moving companies also offer packing and unpacking services. They ensure the availability of proper packing materials such as bubble wraps, taps, cardboard boxes, etc., and help pack each item carefully to prevent damage.
Professional packers can also provide specialized handling for delicate stuff like artwork, pianos, and antique pieces. They use unique materials and techniques to ensure the safety of these items during transit. Outsourcing packing to professional packers can save considerable time while making the process more organized and streamlined.
Besides packing and unpacking, some moving companies offer the following specialized services:
- Temporary storage space for keeping your belongings before you move into your new house.
- Vehicle transportation services to send your vehicle through a separate carrier or make it a part of your household move.
- Customized wooden crafts for safely transporting extremely fragile items.
- Express delivery for moving your possessions on a specific date or within a tight timeframe.
Disassemble Your Furniture
Transporting large furniture, such as beds, tables, and cabinets, into a new home can be challenging. However, you can move them more easily by dissembling them.
Here are some advantages of disassembling your furniture before moving:
- As some moving companies charge based on the space taken up by your belongings in the moving truck, moving large items can increase the costs. By disassembling your furniture, you can optimize space and adjust your remaining belongings more efficiently.
- Moving large furniture pieces through hallways, doorways, and staircases is challenging. By dissembling them into smaller components, you can make the move manageable while minimizing the risk of accidents or property damage.
- Disassembling your furniture before moving lets you properly wrap delicate parts such as mirrors, glass panels, and drawers more efficiently.
When dissembling your furniture, you can do it yourself or seek help from professionals. Before you start disassembling your furniture, do the following:
- Take photos of your furniture from all angles. These photos can be a visual reference when reassembling the furniture at your new location.
- Keep all the hardware, such as screws, nuts, and bolts, handy in clearly labeled bags or containers.
- Ensure you have the required tools, such as screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers, to reassemble your furniture at the new location.
Decrease Your Load
Relocating to a new place is a first-hand opportunity to lighten your load. At the heart of this is decluttering and removing unnecessary items.
Decluttering before moving offers several advantages. Here are some of the benefits.
- Moving into a new home with fewer belongings gives you more freedom to arrange your essential items without overcrowding the space.
- Letting go of unnecessary belongings allows you to live a more organized lifestyle while keeping only what you need.
- Packing is a labor-intensive process. Decreasing your load before moving means you have fewer things to pack, simplifying the packing process and saving time and effort.
- Reducing the amount of stuff that needs to be transported decreases the moving cost.
- By decluttering, you can enjoy a more stress-free and smooth moving experience.
Some practical tips for decluttering your house before moving are the following:
- Visit each room one by one and empty all the drawers, cabinets, and cupboards.
- Sort your belongings into various piles and label them as keep, charity, sell or throw away. Figure out which items you genuinely need and which you can relinquish.
- Sell or donate the items still in good condition but not needed in your new house.
- Call the local charity to pick up the items from your doorstep. As for sellable stuff, hold a garage sale or post pictures on your social media accounts.
- Dispose of the items that are broken, malfunctioning, or cannot be repaired.
- If your new home is smaller than your current residence, consider downsizing your furniture to fit it in your new limited space.
Moving is an exhausting, costly, and challenging endeavor. It requires the laborious process of packing, unpacking, and settling into your new house. However, with smooth planning and carefully working through various stages of moving, you can make this process less stressful and overwhelming. Some of the important tips for a smooth moving experience and moving into a new home have been mentioned above. These essential tips can help you stay on track and complete your move efficiently.